Diamond Makers' is a hybrid between a lab and a tailor-made retail experience. It is capable of fabricating lab-grown diamonds from a wide selection of customisable sources. The focus on the source allows the customer to choose the meaning that they want their diamond to possess. The selection process is designed to trigger personal reflection on values and following their desires.
- What does luxury mean to you?
- What do you want to preserve forever, and why?
Playing with one of the most famous marketing slogans, and arguing that diamonds are, in fact, 'whatever', I want to problematise the value of diamonds and their meaning.
- Why would you like to have the diamond in the first place?
- Why not? What does it need to represent to make you want it?
- What do you lose if you turn it into diamond?